Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Polenta Pizzas


This recipe came about when I was using a pre-cooked roll of polenta for the first time. I had NO idea what in the world to do with it... but I'm pretty proud of my creative yet simple end result. I made this awhile ago and took pictures because it was pretty, but I don't remember how much of everything I used, so bear with me on the guessing here.

Ingredients:

1 roll of pre-cooked polenta
1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce (homemade usually being healthier and jarred being more practical I went with organic jarred)
Shredded mozzarella cheese.... uhhh let's say 1 cup?
Tofurky sausages OR a topping of your choice
3-4 tomatoes

Okay, a note on the Tofurky sausages..... This was also my first time using them and I will say that while I did eat them, I will not use them again (yuck). I would suggest another topping of choice, maybe spinach, real sausage, bell pepper, mushrooms... or just stick with the tomato.

Directions:

Pre heat oven to 350 F

Slice polenta into circles about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.

**Now I didn't do this the first time, but I think this dish (while it was good) would be better if the polenta was fried a bit first. What dish isn't better by frying it right? So I suggest frying the polenta in very little olive oil on a skillet first to crisp it up a little.

Lay the polenta on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or foil.

Slice the tomato into thin slices (as thick or thin as you prefer). I um... like tomato if you can't tell. Top each circle of polenta with a slice of tomato.

Here is where I sliced the Tofurky sausages and placed two pieces on each slice of tomato. Top the tomato with another topping of your choice or leave as is.





Top each creation with a Tablespoon of tomato sauce and sprinkle with cheese.

Place in the oven at 350 F until cheese is melted and golden brown... I really don't remember so set your timer for say.. 20 minutes and come back to check on it :)

Serve with salad and a fruit for a cute and healthy dinner that even the kids will eat. Seriously.. call it pizza and they'll eat it.



No comments:

Post a Comment