Thursday, January 21, 2010

Pizza Night


Usually we just go down the street to our local Papa Murphy's and pick up a take n bake pizza. Tonight I wanted to get the kids involved and let them put their own toppings on... and whatdya know, it saves money too :)

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

Ingredients:

2 cups warm water
2 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons agave (or honey)
2 teaspoons quick rise yeast
4 Tablespoons oil
5 cups whole wheat flour

Directions:

Mix water, agave and salt together until dissolved. Pour in yeast and let sit for 10 minutes.

Stir in oil and slowly add flour, mixing one cup at a time until dough forms a nice ball.

Add water or flour a little at a time to reach desired consistency.

Place ball of dough in a well oiled bowl and coat in oil. Cover and let sit for one hour.




Punch dough down and separate into 12 little balls. I made 10, but a few were too big so I'll be making 12 next time. You could spend the extra minute and make them prettier than mine, but you're going to flatten them out anyway right?



Oil and place in an oiled baking sheet to rise for another hour, covered.


On a floured surface use your hands to make each ball into a flat little pizza. Now lets get to the fun part!

While I'd prefer to make my own pizza sauce I had a can of it I needed to use up so to make myself feel better about all the sugar in the canned pizza sauce I added a can of pureed sweet potato (nobody even noticed). Mikes hates sweet potatoes and he loved the pizza. Spread each pizza with 1-2 Tablespoons of sauce.





Top with shredded mozzarella cheese and your favorite pizza toppings... and then a little more cheese because it's good.

Thomas added turkey pepperoni, pineapple and tomato. Michael added turkey pepperoni and pineapple, but later picked off the pineapple. Joshua had turkey pepperoni, black beans and pineapple.

My pizza had spinach,tomato, black beans, bell pepper and turkey pepperoni. It filled a small salad place perfectly and I was stuffed after eating 3/4 of it, probably should've stopped at half.

1 comment:

  1. I have never made my own pizza dough (I've done pasta) but Trader Joe's has premade dough in whole wheat and regular, and I think one other type, I think TJ's is a little spendy if you have to buy a lot. If you just want regular dough that is fairly cheap Winco has it, and they have a really yummy white sauce too.

    ReplyDelete