Monday, January 11, 2010

Chuck Roast With Apple Ginger Gravy


I love my slow cooker! It's so nice to throw a bunch of ingredients together in the morning and have dinner ready when you want it, not to mention it makes your house smell amazing all day long.

Many of my dishes are vegetarian and are rarely focused on red meat, especially a roast. Not only because of health reasons, but my husband and I have never really been fans of steak or roasts in general. This KILLS my father-in-law who is a meat and potatoes guy. I get the same comment for every vegetarian meal I make "This is great! It would be great with a steak." Needless to say my father-in-law was thrilled when I told him I was making pot roast for Sunday dinner. "Not because I love you" I said. "Because I need a good slow cooker recipe with pictures for a contest." So there.

Ingredients:

3 pound chuck roast (Elk or Beef) Mike hasn't been hunting in awhile, but Elk is very good and better for you than beef.
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup orange or apple juice
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
4 tart apples
1/2 onion
1/4 cup beef broth
3 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
Salt and Pepper

Directions:

Heat oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides (about 3 minutes per side). Season with salt and pepper. Place your roast in the slow cooker.

Mix juice, broth and ginger together in a large measuring cup.

Core apples and slice thin. Slice onions thin. Place apples and onions over the roast. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour juice mixture over your apples.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Remove roast to a plate, cover with foil to keep warm.

In a small bowl mix cornstarch into water until dissolved. Add to your slow cooker and mix well. Cook on high for 15 minutes.

Remove gravy from your slow cooker and CAREFULLY blend until smooth in a blender or food processor. Serve gravy over your sliced roast.

My in-laws loved this and so did the kids. Mike and I thought it was good (the sauce was great), but like I said, we aren't big roast fans. We served it with peas and baked potatoes.

*For healthier baked potatoes top them with soy cheese and salsa, yum.

Warning: Super cool video below.






No comments:

Post a Comment