Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Irish Soda Bread


This Irish Soda Bread was part of our St. Patrick's Day feast... okay it wasn't really a feast, but dinner was good :) This was my first attempt at making soda bread and although I'm sure I've had it before, it's been a very long time. I have to say I was pleased with how it turned out. Maybe not my first choice in breads, but good for what it is supposed to be. This is a very dense bread and the flavors are strong (good, but strong.) I was joking at dinner saying one piece of the bread was a meal in itself... it really is. Mike says this is what they use in an "Irish Breakfast," they pile all sorts of goodness on top of it. I will probably make this again next year.... but most likely not anytime in-between. Maybe we'll try an Irish Breakfast next year.

I found this recipe here on timesunion.com. I did a few things differently, but stuck to the recipe for the most part. Here was my final recipe: Ingredients:
  • 3½ Cups flour
  • 4 Teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/3 Cup sugar
  • ½ Teaspoon baking soda
  • 8 oz. Raisins, softened (soak in hot water, drain)
  • ½ Teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon caraway seeds
  • 2 Eggs beaten
  • 1 Cup sour cream
  • ½ Cup buttermilk
  • 3 Tablespoons melted margarine
  • Oil for brushing
Heat oven to 350 F.

Grease and lightly flour 9x9" pan.

Combine wet ingredients in one bowl (not oil) and dry ingredients in another.


Mix wet and dry ingredients together.

Add to greased, floured 9x9” pan and brush with a little oil.


Cut an “X” in the top.

Bake 50 minutes at 350° F **I covered the top loosely in foil for the last 15 minutes to prevent the top from browning too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment