Monday, February 8, 2010

Quinoa Casserole With Pesto


What's the best way to use up veggies before my SPUD! order? Chop 'em up and throw them in a casserole! I got some red quinoa from Whole Foods the other day. There are three kinds; black, red and white. I decided to use some of the red in my casserole tonight, I really can't tell you if they taste any different since I really can't taste much right now (being sick.) I've been told this was good so I'll just take their word for it :)

This is a great protein packed dinner or even breakfast casserole. It's very versatile and a great way to use up leftovers. Feel free to leave a comment with what you added :)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup uncooked white quinoa
1/2 cup uncooked red quinoa
3- 4 cups chopped veggies of your choice. I used leftover hashbrown potatoes from breakfast over the weekend, a red bell pepper and 2 very tiny zucchini. I chose veggies that I wouldn't have to cook first: The potatoes were already cooked, I love a slight crunch to my bell peppers and the zucchini did not need to be pre-cooked. I left onions out so that if it didn't turn out we could always give it to the dogs :) I was going to add carrots, but thought they might not cook enough so I used carrot juice instead. I was also going to add spinach and mushrooms, but I got lazy because I feel miserable today.
1/2 cup carrot juice
1/2 cup milk
2 heaping Tablespoons pesto sauce
5 eggs
1 cup shredded smoked sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F and grease 9x13" baking dish

Soak and thoroughly rinse your quinoa, cook according to directions. (1 1/2 cups water or broth to 1 cup quinoa for about 20-30 minutes in a rice cooker)

Chop your veggies and mix all ingredients together.

Spread into the prepared casserole dish and bake at 350 F for 40-45 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.

Serve with topping of your choice; pesto, tomato sauce, salsa (my choice) or ketchup (kids pick).

Serve with a side salad or fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment