Monday, January 11, 2010

Protein Packed Pancakes With Blueberry Sauce


Well how better to start off my cooking blog than with breakfast right? After all, it is the most important meal of the day :) We love pancakes on the weekends and leftovers are always an easy breakfast during the week. I looked around for a healthier pancake recipe because bread covered in butter and sugar, while quite tasty, isn't very good for you. I came across a recipe for a low carb pancake recipe and tweaked it to our tastes. The whole family loves these and it is our new go to pancake recipe.

Keep in mind I'm cooking for four adults and three boys so I automatically at least double my recipes. I'm not sure how many pancakes this makes, I guess now that I'm sharing I should pay attention to that sorta stuff :) But hey, like I said before, leftover pancakes are great to freeze and use as a quick breakfast during the week.

Ingredients:

2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 cup low fat cottage cheese or silken tofu (we like it both ways)
4 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1-2 teaspoons agave nectar or other sweetener of your choice

Put it all in the blender or food processor and mix into a batter. Pour it on a lightly oiled pan and cook (on about medium heat) like you would any other pancake, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.

I've always skipped the butter altogether with the kids and just gave them a little syrup, but I wanted to go even healthier while still making them jump for joy when it's pancake day. So comes the blueberry sauce..... My kids are fruit nuts so this one was easy.

Ingredients:

2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
1/2 cup cool tap water
4 teaspoons cornstarch (Use cornstarch and NOT flour like some recipes say you can substitute with. TRUST ME.)
2 Tablespoons juice concentrate (apple or grape work well)
Juice from 1/2 lemon

Put water and cornstarch in a medium-large pot. Stir until the cornstarch dissolves. Add everything else, cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils. Let it boil for 1-3 more minutes and serve.

*A quick note - For kids that aren't big fruit fans, just puree the sauce in a blender or food processor and it's a fun purple syrup :) Remember when purple ketchup was all the rage?

Got extra? Freeze it for future use or freeze in ice cube trays and add to a smoothie later, yum. As I'm sure you will find out, we love smoothies here.

No comments:

Post a Comment